Printer problems such as faint, blurry, missing, dots, stains and other print problems you may find is highly due to uncleaned cartridge printer head. The most common reason for this is a clogged or stained nozzle which affects the distribution of ink or toner to the paper.
How do you resolve printer head problems?
There are a few methods in cleaning a printer head. It can be by removing and cleaning them manually or reset the printer. Here’s how:
The following steps are applicable on HP Officejet 6500 and other HP inkjet printers.
What you will need:
Clean piece of paper
Lint-free cloth (coffee filter or eyeglass cleaning cloth works too)
Warm clean water.
- Turn on printer and open cartridge slot.
- Access ink cartridges and lift the latch to unlock them.
- Take out all ink cartridges and place them on a piece of paper with the nozzles pointing up.
- Fully lift the latch handle of the cartridge compartment.
- Remove print head.
- Clean print head. Slightly dampen the cloth. Wipe the printhead and remove accumulated and dried ink. Wipe clean until no new ink shows on the cloth.
There are three main parts of the printhead that needs cleaning; plastic ramps, electrical contacts, edge between nozzles.
When cleaning, DO NOT touch the nozzles. DO NOT touch the electrical contacts with bare fingers. Always use the cleaning materials.
- When cleaning the ramps and electrical contacts, use dry lint-free cloth.
- Lift the latch and reinstall the printhead. Carefully lower the latch.
- Reinsert ink cartridges and secure them into place.
- Close the cartridge cover.
- Run test print.
How to reset the printer?
Faint prints might also due to low power level on the printer. Here’s how to reset.
- Turn on printer. Let printer on until it is on idle and silent mode.
- STILL turned on, disconnect the power cord at the back part of the printer.
- Completely unplug the power cord from the outlet.
- Let printer rest for 60 seconds.
- Plug in power cord again on the printer and outlet.
- Turn on printer; or it might automatically turn on.
- Wait until warm-up period is complete.
- Run test print.
Can I use alcohol in cleaning my printer?
Yes, but only use Isopropyl alcohol. However, only use the alcohol when cleaning and removing the blocked nozzles and printer head. Inks tend to dry and block the printer head.
Alcohol is corrosive, using alcohol to clean electrical contacts will damage the wire.
Remember to clean the print head especially when the printer has not been used for a while. Follow the steps and your HP Officejet 6500 will be consistent in giving great printouts.